M6 Original Assignment
Answer the following questions, drawing upon the assigned readings and resources and using specific examples from those readings and resources to illustrate and explain your thoughts. In answering these questions, please follow this format:
–write out the question and then provide your response.
–when you reference (name) a theory, cite your source using the APA in–text citation style.
–you must cite sources and provide bibliographic reference at the end of the assignment
For over two hundred years, white males have been the most powerful group in the United States. Through economic exclusions, enforced by laws and reinforced by deep cultural attitudes, there has existed, in effect, a preferential hiring program for white males. In light of that historical reality and the dynamics that remain in our culture, evaluate the contemporary strategy of affirmative action for women and minorities to bring about more fairness in hiring and promotion practices. Draw heavily from the assigned readings and then explain and defend your arguments concerning affirmative action and “reverse discrimination.” REMEMBER, YOU MUST USE A THEORY TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION.
Make sure that you have adequately dealt with all the subtleties of the particular theory. The answers to these questions can be found in the text but merely quoting from the text or paraphrasing the text will earn minimal credit–the answers should be in your own words and should involve some explanation and discussion of what these concepts mean.
1. Read pages 493-607 of Shaw and Barry. ATTACHED—Please make sure to include this—it is primary source.
2. Read the following articles:
• Brown, G. K., & Langer, A. (2015). Does affirmative action work? Lessons from around the world. Foreign Affairs, 94(2). SEE BELOW
• Steinmetz, K. (2016). Why More Companies Are Coming Out of the Political Closet . Time, 187(13). https://time.com/4277505/why-more-companies-are-coming-out-of-the-political-closet/
• Hollywood Screenwriters Face Their Own ‘OscarsSoWhite’ Drama . (2016). Seattle Times. https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/hollywood-screenwriters-face-their-own-oscarssowhite-drama/
• Cohen, P. (2016). Perils of a Gap in the Résumé . New York Times, 165(57238). https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/20/business/economy/a-child-care-gap-in-the-resume-whether-to-explain-or-not.html
• Scheiber, N., & Ember, S. (2016). After Ailes and Cosby, a Moment for More Women to Speak Up . The New York Times.