Theory of Architecture Arc 2201
You will be writing about 2 buildings. The 2 buildings must be from separate time periods.
You will compare and contrast the 2 buildings.
The paper should be over 2,000 words which is 4 to 8 pages, double spaced.
You should use pictures for reference and a cover page. (You can use your own sketches)
Site your sources, 1st or 3rd person.
Choose the 2 buildings from Buildings Across Time, 5th ed. Michael Fazio
Chapter 11 Renaissance Architecture
Chapter 12 Baroque Architecture
Chapter 13 Neo-Classicism, Romanticism and Rococo
Chapter 14 Eclecticism, Industrialization and Newness
Chapter 15 The Twentieth Century and Modernism
Chapter 16 Modernism and the Mid- and late Twentieth Century and Beyond
Consider the following in your paper:
• Provide the name of the building, location and Architect and year it was built.
• Analyze the buildings formal and iconographic meaning, its social, functional or
religious significance, and its cultural and historical context and aesthetic, cultural,
• Provide any relevant chronological, regional, and stylistic development of the
• Define and articulate your building with architectural terminology.
• Identifying any technological developments affecting the styles/movements studied.
• Apply your own observational and critical thinking skills in the analysis of historical
works of architecture.