THE ROLE OF THE NURSE INFORMATICIST IN SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
Assume you are a nurse manager on a unit where a new nursing documentation system is to be implemented. You want to ensure that the system will be usable and acceptable for the nurses impacted. You realize a nurse leader must be on the implementation team.
· Review the steps of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and reflect on the scenario presented.
· Consider the benefits and challenges associated with involving a nurse leader on an implementation team for health information technology.
The Assignment: (2-3 pages not including the title and reference page)
In preparation of filling this role, develop a 2- to 3-page role description for a graduate-level nurse to guide his/her participation on the implementation team. The role description should be based on the SDLC stages and tasks and should clearly define how this individual will participate in and impact each of the following steps:
· Planning and requirements definition
· Design of the new system
· Post-implementation support
· Use APA format and include a title page and reference page.
· Use the Safe Assign Drafts to check your match percentage before submitting your work.
· McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. G. (2022). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (5th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
· Chapter 9, “Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Making” (pp. 191–204)
· Chapter 12, “Electronic Security” (pp. 251–265)
· Chapter 13, “Achieving Excellence by Managing Workflow and Initiating Quality Projects”
· Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.a). Health IT evaluation toolkit and evaluation measures quick reference guide Links to an external site. . Retrieved January 26, 2022, from https://digital.ahrq.gov/health-it-evaluation-toolkit
· Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.b). Workflow assessment for health IT toolkit Links to an external site. . Retrieved January 26, 2022, from https://digital.ahrq.gov/health-it-tools-and-resources/evaluation-resources/workflow-assessment-health-it-toolkit
· Louis, I. (2011, August 17). Systems development life cycle Links to an external site.(SDLC) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpyjPrpyX8
· Walden University, LLC. (Producer). (2018). Interoperability, Standards, and Security [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.