Statistical Analysis in Nursing
How are research methods used in nursing? What particular methods are used in your area of nursing practice? Over the last few weeks, you have been exploring these questions, and you will continue this exploration examining the specific tests and methods that may be used in your particular area of nursing practice. Why might different methods be used based on an area of practice? Why is it important for DNP-prepared nurses to be familiar with various research methods?
• Review the articles presented in this week’s Learning Resources and analyze each study’s use of statistical and nonparametric tests.
• Select an article to focus on for this Discussion.
• Ask yourself: Which method is most commonly used in research studies that pertain to my area of nursing practice, and why this might be so?
Post a critical analysis of the article that you selected by addressing the following:
• What are the goals and purpose of the research study described by the article you selected?
• How are nonparametric tests used in the research study? What are the results of their use? Be specific.
• Why are parametric methods (t tests and ANOVA) inappropriate for the statistical analysis of the research study’s data? Be specific and provide examples.
• What are the strengths and weaknesses of the research study (e.g., study design, sampling, and measurement)?
• How could the findings and recommendations of the research study contribute to evidence-based practice for nursing?