Reflection Paper 2 – Space Weather Hazards
In case you missed the recent space weather hazard, let us leverage our second reflection paper to consider space weather hazards. It is 2020 after all!
Read articles 1 and 2.
Asteroid heading towards earth identified by 2 teenage Indian girls -Vaidehi Vekariya and Radhika Lakhani who were analyzing images taken by a telescope located at the University of Hawaii.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7239599/indian-teens-discover-asteroid-earth/ (Links to an external site.)
While the good news is that it did not hit the earth, during a pandemic nonetheless, Emergency Managers need to consider the threat of space weather hazards.
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-small-asteroid-called-2020-qc-just-gave-earth-the-closest-near-miss-ever-seen (Links to an external site.)
Reflection Paper 2 Prompt.
1. Define in your own words each of the following space weather hazards and explain why each is a hazard to humans or organizations.
– Electromagnetic Emissions (2 points)
– Solar Flares (2 points)
– Magnetized Plasma (2 points)
– Space Debris (2 points)
– Asteroids (2 points)
2. Recommend a strategy or approach that Emergency Management can use to minimize loss of life, from space weather hazards? ( 3 points)
3. What recommendations would you make for building resilience to space weather hazards? (3 points)
4. What about the two articles you just read reflect on the global approach to global threats (4 points)