Research Paper Specifications
The research paper project synthesizes all lessons from the first half of the class.
These lessons are organized in a sequence that allows the student to pattern a drafted
essay and to draft his or her own essay. The result, therefore, must be a paper that
incorporates all class lessons, presentations, and shared wisdoms. The final product,
then, must be a persuasive essay that relies exclusively upon researched evidence,
accurately analyzed by the author, in order to prove each sub-argument of the thesis
statement. A minimum of one source per counted page of the essay is to be used.
1. The introduction, body, and conclusion of the essay total will be a minimum of seven
pages. The student is encouraged, however, to achieve ten pages in length.
2. The essay is to be written in MLA format, mimicking with precision the example
research essay provided to students.
3. The essay must contain at least one original visual aid created by the student and no
more than two aids.
4. The essay must not contain more than one block or long quote.
5. The essay must rely primarily on peer-reviewed sources and may not at any time
use disreputable sources.
6. All other rules discussed between class members and the professor apply.
Criteria Points Earned
Author creates an original, coherent
general stance and uses sub-arguments
supported by detailed, researched
evidence, clearly explicated and properly
organized, in order to support each subargument.
Author includes proper citations in-text and
on works cited page; author paraphrases,
summarizes, and quotes correctly,
creating consistent tone and proper
Author properly synthesizes researched
evidence using varied sources for each
Author includes graphs, charts, or other
visual aids in order to help the reader
understand the meaning of selected
Author writes clear, concise prose with few
to no grammatical or other writing errors. / 20
Author follows additional MLA formatting
Total Score = /