8-10 full pages (+ Works Cited Page) MLA Format
Research, explore, and analyze a topic—and convey the significance of your analysis
Reference for the prompt
(What I’m researching for the essay)
Use: These articles for research ( and any more you want)
A successful paper will:
• Start with an introduction paragraph that provides the context of the topic that ends with an argumentative
• Next, will have a brief literature review and discussion (1-2 paragraphs max) based on your research for
the Annotated Bibliography
• Then, demonstrate critical thinking skills throughout each body paragraph (I recommend using the AXES
• Finally, conclude with a paragraph that looks forward in the conversation brought up through the topic
• Use the language and vocabulary that surrounds existing, formal conversations about your topic
• Use your supporting texts wisely; don’t let them take over your paper
• Demonstrate a strong ability to paraphrase and integrate quotations.
• Abide by standard essay format (introduction with thesis, paragraphs with topic sentences, quotations
where needed, etc.)
• Make sure your thesis statement is obvious and arguable
• Make sure each subsequent body paragraph argues the thesis statement
• Write as much as you need to in order to effectively communicate your ideas thoroughly.
• Avoid second-person “you” at all costs!!!
• Typed in MLA format (12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 1” Margins)