Name That Research Method
Course Objective #2- Describe the basic principles of psychological research.
In our effort to understand human behavior, we employ scientific methods to answer questions that we have about normal and abnormal behavior. Typically, we are exploring the relationship between multiple behavioral variables or traits. Depending on the types of variables, and the types of relationships we are trying to understand, some research methods might be better suited to answer our research questions.
1. This activity will provide you the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in reading and lecture.
2. You are expected to think critically about how you might approach answering a particular research question. This is a skill that we will develop throughout our course!
3. As this skill develops, you will become better able to critically access the validity of research, as well as other sources you may use
Here is a list of the most commonly used research methods in the field of psychology. For each of the following scenarios/research questions, decide which is the most appropriate research method (A-E), and briefly explain why. In your explanation, you should explain what key variables/relationships are being explored, and why the method you chose would best address your research question. You may also explain why another method WOULD NOT work for answering your research question.
A. Case Study
B. Naturalistic Observation
D. Correlational Study
1. Determining the favorite food of adolescents
2. Determining whether a person is introverted or extroverted.
3. Determining if frustration leads to aggression.
4. Determining the relationship between education level and crime.
5. Determining how teenagers behavior on a first date.
Criteria for Success/Evaluation Criteria:
This assignment is worth 10 points, with 2 points awarded for each of the five examples:
1. One (1) point will be given for identifying a valid research method
2. One (1) additional point will be awarded for providing a sufficient
For each of the 5 examples, there might be multiple methodologies that could work. So, there isn’t necessarily one correct answer. Accordingly, points will be awarded for identifying any research method that could sufficiently address the research question described in the example, and making a compelling argument for why that methodology would fit. Including more details in your response (and clearly communicating them) will help you make your case better than few words/details (e.g. using incomplete sentences).