DUE 12/2 ASSIGNMENT 1:
Submit PSA script with comment sheet.
Choose one of the following subjects and write in script format a 30-second video spot.
Drinking & Driving Tolerance (race, religion, gender, sexual identity, nationality, marriage) Environmental issues (water/air pollution, organic foods, veganism) Bicycle safety Register to vote (college demographic) Protection against animal abuse
Tailor your message to a college-aged audience (18-25).
Think about what the message will be. Limit it to one idea that you can frame tightly. Don’t try to do too much in 30 seconds. Think about how you can frame it in a memorable way to persuade your audience about something. Ask yourself what you want the audience to feel, to know, to do.
Please include a sponsor/client for your spot/campaign:
• Keep copy simple and easily understood. Use simple sentence structure.
• Make sure that ideas and the point of view are clear
• True to life character dialogue the way they’d speak—otherwise the audience won’t be persuaded.
• Come up with a concept—a peg, a hook, either visual, aural or in words.
• Use visuals as storytelling tool—let the visuals talk. Words and visuals complement each other in a way that the combination is more powerful than either is alone. Examples: Play on words; Repetitive, progressive image—i.e. more and more smoke fills the screen; Sound effect that is startling or increasing—a beating heart.
In lieu of a standard briefing memo, please complete the PSA comment sheet (see example) identifying your concept, uses of multimedia (sounds and visuals) and the components of your PSA: Attention-getting opener, Story line, The twist, The slogan, The call to action, The sponsor.
Professional examples to reference via YouTube:
“That’s So Gay”
“Amazing Jumbo Elephant Landing”
International Fund for Animal Welfare
“Embrace Life – Always Wear Your Seatbelt”
“The Crying Indian”
Keep America Beautiful
“This is Your Brain on Drugs”
Partnership for a Drug-Free America