Due for submission of the presentation and reports: August, 20th
This project is intended to give you firsthand experience in using the ideas of statistics to solve a problem or answer a question of your own choosing. You will work on a project individually through the term. The projects will be presented in the class Zoom session. You will turn in a project report after your presentation.
In your project you will need to:
1. Formulate a research question and hypothesis
2. Identify the variables for your question.
What type of data you are using? You need to decide whether you collect your data or you use ready data. Data is presented to you on the elearning page of your class. Search for the magazines, textbooks, internet for data. I help you about finding data. Or you can collect your own data. Don`t forget!!! It depends on your research question.
3. Summarize the data using graphical and numerical techniques discussed in the course that best portray and describe your data set.
4. Apply any methods of formal statistical inference from class (confidence intervals, z test, t test, correlation or simple linear regression) that are appropriate and illuminating.
5. Make appropriate real-world conclusions based on the analysis you performed.
Make your conclusions and inferences properly.
Project grades will be determined on the basis of the following criteria:
1. Appropriateness of the study topic.
2. Relevance and completeness of the analysis made of the project data.
3. Appropriateness of the real-world conclusions made based on the data.
4. Clarity and appearance of the final report.
• This is worth 20% of your final grade.
• All calculations must be done with Excel or PHStat. Attach your output where indicated.
• The write up report can typically have 5-7 pages, including charts and graphs, and the presentation has at most 7 ppt slides including the titles and references.
• Paper should address the following components:
o Title Page
o Table of Contents
o Problem statement
o Brief background discussion related to the topic and purpose of the study
o Data collection plan
o Data Analysis
o Results of data analysis