Answer the following case study.
Case Study, Chapter 11, Nutrition Strategies for Power, Endurance, and Combined Power/Endurance
Jamie is a member of the USA men’s hockey team. He has made vast improvements in the last year in his
strength and conditioning regimen, and he’s seen how his hard work has paid off in his performance. He
thinks that his diet could give him even more of a boost in his performance, and he’s got a lot of questions.
He is now working with the team dietitian to improve his nutritional intake before, during, and after
competition. He has started making small changes in his diet and has seen improvements in his
performance and feels much better, so he’s motivated to continue making positive changes. He isn’t sure
about his next steps and has a few questions.
1. Describe Jamie’s reliance on different energy systems during hockey games.
2. Are there any specific nutrition strategies Jamie can implement during the game?
3. What should be the focus of Jamie’s post-competition nutrition strategy?
Case Study, Chapter 13, Dietary Supplements, Foods, and Ergogenic Aids Intended to Improve
Performance: Myths and Realities
Sarah has been working for a starting spot on her basketball team. She has put in more hours training than
anyone on the team. Despite her efforts, she cannot seem to break through to the starting lineup. She’s
getting desperate to make the cut. She decided to go to a local supplement store and find out about the
different supplements that are available for her. She talked to the store clerk to describe what she was
looking for and the benefits she wanted from the supplement. He gave her a list of supplements that he
guaranteed would help her. She decided to go with branched chain amino acids and started taking them
the next day.
1. Name the branched chain amino acids. Name a food high in concentration of BCAAs.
2. Sarah tested positive in a drug test for banned substances. She checked the food label before taking the
supplement, so how could this happen?
3. Summarize the scientific evidence of this supplement.