This is a simulation, of a negotiation, the paper should be written on the way If only one side would have
The paper requires you to 1) prepare for a negotiation, 2) to engage in the negotiation and 3) to report to
me on your experiences. The scenario, contained in confidential instructions below, concerns negotiations
between an opera singer’s (Cindy O’Singer) agent and the Vienna Voice Opera.
1. Agree with your counterparty which role you will play – that of the Agent or that of the Opera.
2. Read and consider the confidential instructions for your character.
3. Prepare a Preparatory Memorandum for the forthcoming negotiation, paying attention to the following –
amongst other things:
a. What things might you do if you do not reach an agreement at the bargaining table?
b. What strategies will you use in the negotiation?
c. What is your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA)?
d. What is the value of the BATNA in terms of the “currencies” that will be on the table in the negotiation,
e.g., is it euros, or publicity, or risk, etc.?
e. What is the price at which you walk away from the negotiation?
f. Do you think your BATNA is stronger or weaker than the other side’s?
g. What can each side do to improve its BATNA?
4. Engage with your counterparty from the weekend lectures to negotiate the deal. You can communicate
via any modes available to you – face to face, telephone, e-mail, video, etc . You can engage as many
times as necessary.
5. Write your own Concluding Report on the negotiation, covering the following things amongst others:
a. Did you reach agreement?
b. If not why not?
c. If so, for how much?
d. Why did you settle for that figure – where did that number come from?
e. What non-monetary interests does each side have?
f. Did you talk about each side’s interests that go beyond the salary in this negotiation?
g. What options, if any, other than straight salary, did you explore?
h. Did you make a final and binding agreement or was it subject to client approval?
i. Would more information about the other side’s BATNA and interests have made this case easier or more
difficult to negotiate?