National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) Competencies
Nine broad areas of core competence that apply to all nurse practitioners, regardless of specialty or patient population focus. NONPF created the first set of
Nurse Practitioner Competencies in 1990; the most recent updates were incorporated in 2017. This course was designed to prepare you to synthesize
knowledge gained throughout the program and to apply each of the nine core competencies within your selected areas of practice which is “Mental Health
Nurse Practitioner” and your representative communities.
The nine areas of competency are:
1. Scientific Foundations
4. Practice Inquiry
5. Technology and Information Literacy
7. Health Delivery System
9. Independent Practice
Please see the attached document for assistance
Review the attached document, focusing on the NONPF Core Competencies Content.
1. For each of the nine NONPF competencies,
2. write one paragraph explaining how the program has prepared you to meet the competency (for a total of at least nine paragraphs). (one paragraph each.
3. Then, propose how you plan to engage in social change in your community as a Mental Health nurse practitioner.
4. Finally, describe 1–2 legislative and/or advocacy activities in which your state nurse practitioner organization(s) (Texas) are involved. Be specific and
provide examples. (American Psychiatric Nurses Association APNA) Texas chapter and Psychiatric Advanced Practice Nurses of Texas (PAPN).