COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Discuss the role of the International Business and its impact in the national economic development.
2. Apply the International Trade theories and methods in the political economy and foreign direct investment.
3. Analyze the cultural, political, and legal issues affecting international business activity
4. Evaluate the various international institutions and practices that impact international business
A. Written Report Overview: You are asked with your team members to perform a Country Analysis and Market Entry strategy for expanding an international business to one of the following countries: China, India, Philippines, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Germany, France, and Italy. You will submit a written report of 3000 words. Follow the specifications to meet the document and presentation requirements:
Step1: Students must form groups of 4 students and decide on a business firm that you find interesting to expand to one of the countries mentioned in the overview. Provide an overview of the company (background/nature of business, mission, vision, countries of operation).
Step2: Choose one of the suggested countries as a destination for the international business. Provide a thorough explanation why you think this country is ideal given the nature of your business and step 3. Cite at least two research papers that addresses this background about the country you select and relevance of your business there.
Step 3: You are a member of a team that has been tasked to perform a detailed analysis of the political, economic, legal and cultural environment of the country (you can do so using PESTELE tool).
Step 4: Outline the challenges and opportunities of conducting business in the country of your selection.
Step 5: Discuss at least 4 critical learnings about international business from the course additional material and relate how it will benefit your business
Step 6: Provide relevant guidelines and recommendations for entering the new market. You will do so through examining the country from various perspective. Areas you should consider: Economic and business environment, political/legal environment, cultural analysis, market opportunity, and market entry strategy recommendations. Make use of the concepts in textbook and cases when addressing recommendations given each of the factors.
The report and presentation should be more than just a collection of key facts and figures; it should offer valuable management and cultural insights about that country. For example, “in Japan – the distribution system is very complex with many levels and built on long-¬‐standing personal relationships. One “takeaway” for a foreign company entering Japan is that there must be sufficient margins and incentive programs to motivate the many layers of channel members. Also, a joint venture with a local partner may be necessary to gain access to the complex distribution.”
• Use charts and graphs wherever possible and is necessary to give better explanation.
• All sources must be referenced using APA style.
• The report should be based on different sources of online databases and demonstrating your own understanding of the readings and class discussions.
• Insert bibliography in the end of the report.
• Format your report using APA style formatting.
An outline for the document report:
Note: make sure your outline cover all steps of projects explained above
– Title page
– Executive Summary (country’s risks and situation, whether it is a good opportunity for your business)
– Company background
– External environment (stability of government, future political risks)
– Economic and business environment (demographics, income, trading, trade regulations, availability of skilled labor, membership of trading blocks, intellectual property right)
– Market opportunity analysis and rationale. Why it is good market for your product (size of market, target market, retail distribution, competitors)
– Cultural dimension (how the habits impact the way you do business given behavior, customs describe it using Hofstede’s model of cultural dimension)
– Market entry mode (exporting, or licensing, or franchising, or joint venture, etc..). Provide successful example
– Summary (findings, key challenges, risks)
Submit form of groups and chosen business/country: September 30
Outlines Due: November 21
Presentations: November 22 onwards
B: PRESENTATION [10 MARKS]
• Each student must participate in the presentation.
• 10-15 slides maximum which include all steps of report with the main key learnings.
• You will be assessed based on your understanding of topic you are presenting, creativity and graphics, thorough response to questions by instructor.
• Duration of presentation is 15-20 minutes