Learning from others is a key tool in the development of leaders. While textbooks and publications can advise you, they cannot replace the experiential information from others. The focus of this assessment is understanding leadership from the human resource perspective. In this assessment, you will conduct an informational interview with a human resource professional and write a paper discussing your findings from that interview. The assessment focuses on understanding their perspectives on the human resource leadership role and evaluating the information obtained from this interview as you consider your approach to human resource leadership.
You work in the Human Resources department and your goal is to be promoted to higher levels of leadership in the human resource profession. In order to understand how you need to develop your skills for advanced leadership positions, you decide to conduct an informational interview with a human resource leader.
Leadership Development Challenge
For this leadership development challenge, you will conduct an informational interview that focuses on a human resource leader whose primary role is being a strategic partner to people and organizations from a human resource capacity. This interview will balance the academic theories addressed in Assessment 1 with the practical applications of experienced human resource leaders.
Your quest for the practical side of human resource leadership should include the following elements:
· Learn about a human resource leader’s role and the challenges and opportunities they face as a leader and as a manager.
· Analyze the ways in which a leader influences people and organizations as a strategic partner.
After conducting your interview, you will summarize your findings and incorporate ideas from your interview into your personal understanding of leadership.
Conduct an informational interview with a human resource professional in which you explore the leadership side of human resources.
Write a 4–5-page paper that outlines your informational interview with a human resource leader. Explain the leader’s role and unique perspectives of human resource leadership. You will also analyze how this advises you on your own perspectives of being an effective human resource leader. Your paper should be well organized and cover the following elements.
· Describe the leader’s position and role in the human resource function.
· Examine the leader’s philosophy and approach for being an effective leader and strategic partner. Be sure your interview covers the following facets of leadership and management:
· The challenges and opportunities of the interviewee as a human resource leader and how that differs from their role as a human resource manager.
· The leader’s approach to influencing people and organizations as a strategic partner.
· The leader’s advice for being an effective leader.
· Analyze how the leader applies leadership theories to support human resource outcomes. Be sure to cover the following elements:
· How theories of leadership did or could apply to the interviewee’s role and responsibilities.
· How theories of leadership resonate with you after the interview.
· Analyze how key interview findings inform your own personal philosophy of human resource leadership.
· How do insights from the interview connect to your own leadership behavior?
· How do insights from the interview impact your leadership development journey?
· Length: 4–5 typed, double-spaced pages, plus the cover and resources pages.
· The first page should be a cover sheet with your name, the course number, assessment title, and date. No other information is required on this page.
· The last page should be the reference list.
· Organization: Make sure your assessment writing is well organized, using headings and subheadings to organize content for the reader.
· Resources: Use 2–3 references and include both trade publications and peer-reviewed articles to support your assertions with data and/or in-text citations.
· APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting .
· Written communication:
· Develop flow with organizational tactics which recognize relationship between the main topic and subtopics.
Review the HR Leadership Development: Human Resource Informational Interview Scoring Guide prior to submitting to ensure you have met the requirements of the assessment.