This week, we have examined Chapter 9. Be sure to read the chapter before participating in the discussion
Our discussion board is going to focus on the Case Study entitled “My Parents are Turning 65 and Need
Help Signing Up for Medicare” on pages 580-581 of the eText. Please read through the case very carefully
and then think about the issues covered in the case in light of the information that you learned in Chapter 9.
Next, read through the questions at the end of the case — This will help you to consider the various aspects
of the case before you post your discussion post. Lastly, answer the following question in your initial post:
1. Given my parents’ medical conditions, do they need Medicare Parts A, B, and D? Be sure to include: (a)
an explanation of each of these Parts and (b) your rationale for whether my parents need each Part based
on their specific condition(s).
2. What about Medicare Part C? Do you think a Medicare Advantage plan might be a good option for my
parents? If so, what type do you think would be good?
3. What are the cost considerations for the various Medicare options?
4. How does the cost of Medicare compare to what my parents are currently spending for their COBRA
coverage? Will going on Medicare sooner rather than later save them money?
5. What is your recommendation to us for my parents’ coverage? Pick one of the following and explain why
you selected this option: (1) Medicare A, B, and/or D, (2) Medicare C, (3) COBRA.
Be sure to support your position with course materials from this week’s learnings.