Instructions: Complete the following Family Assessment form on your immediate family. Type your answers directly on this form, save, and submit it in Canvas by the due date and time. The Family Assessment is worth a total of 100 points.
It is easiest for students to understand how to do family assessments by first starting with his/her own family. However, if you feel uncomfortable sharing personal information about your family with the instructor who will grade your work, you may use a friend’s family instead.
By typing your name, you are attesting that you have done the work involved with this assignment.
I. Theory – The following questions are from the information in your textbook reading.
1. Explain the four approaches to family nursing. (8pts)
Family as the context
Family as the client
Family as a system
Family as a component of society
2. The nurse can gather information on families using several family assessment tools. Identify three criteria to help determine the most appropriate assessment tool. (3pts)
3. Why is a genogram important to a public health nurse and the family? (2pts)
4. Discuss two advantages and disadvantages of health promotion services in the home. (4pts)
5. Describe the phases and activities of a home visit. (12 pts)
Planning for Your Own Safety
6. Identify three community resources that might be useful to a family with complex needs and problems. (3pts)
7. Explain the focus of the Neuman Systems Model and the 5 interacting variables of the assessment. (6 pts)
II. Application – Answer the following questions about your immediate family
1. Identifying Data (4pts)
1. What is the family structure? (1pt)
2. What are the individual or family health practices related to culture, ethnicity, or religion? (Think: what do you or your family do for a cold or a headache? Ex. Putting a cut onion in the room when you have a cold, cupping for back pain, or drinking herbal tea or whiskey for a cough.) Explain. (2pts)
3. Are there any needs or problems identified based on the identifying data? Explain. (1pt)
2. Developmental Stage (6pts)
1. What is your family’s present Developmental Stage according to the family-life cycle. Stanhope pp. 610
2. What is the extent of Developmental Tasks fulfillment for your family?
3. Are there any needs or problems identified based on the developmental stage data? Explain
3. Family Structure (6pts)
Extent of functional and dysfunctional communication (verbal/nonverbal)
Responsibilities for other members (older child taking care of younger child, relative not living in the home such as mother or grandmother)
Identify the family power structure (Decision-Making Process)
Identify the Role Structure (Variables Affecting Role Structure
Identify important family values and their priority in the family
Are there any needs or problems identified based on the family structure data? Explain.
4. Family Functions (26pts)
· Meals per day eaten in the home
Meals per day when entire family is present
· Person responsible for buying the groceries
Person responsible for cooking
· 24 hour diet recall for all members of the immediate family (include variation for individual family members if applicable) (20pts)
· Frequency of MD Visits
· Frequency of dental visits
· other practitioners
Describe health promotion and prevention activities utilized by the family. (1pt)
Are there any needs or problems identified based on the family functions data? Explain. (1pt)
5. Family Stress and Coping (8pts)
Any major normative transitions occurring and/or any non-normative events or illnesses (may use a past example if nothing in the present)
Family reactions and perceptions coping strategies
What affect did the event have on the family
Did the event cause a changes in family roles
How did the family adjust to this change in roles
For the event what external support was utilized or provided for the family
For the event what internal support was utilized or provided for the family
Are there any needs identified based on the family stress and coping data?
6. Family Care Plan (12pts)
A. Using NANDA, list four nursing diagnosis for your FAMILY in order of importance. Supporting data should be found above. (6pts) Resources: https://nurseslabs.com/family-nursing-care-plan-assessment-diagnoses-in-family-nursing-practice/
FAMILY Nursing Diagnosis in Priority (NOT INDIVIDUAL)
B. Complete the following nursing care plan on the #1 diagnosis listed in the above section. Objective and subjective data should be found in the assessment information above to support your diagnosis. (6pts)
Diagnosis Goals Interventions
Updated January 2021