Experiment # 1 Review: Any questions or if need any information regarding this experiment to write the APA paper, please do not hesitate to ask, thank you!
WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THIS EXPERIMENT?
To examine the effects of different presentations on participants’ retention.
What are the Variables in this Experiment?
Independent Variable ? = Different Presentations (or Type of Presentations)
*What are the Levels ?
– Level # 1: Visuals VS.
` – Level # 2: Auditory
Dependent Variable ? = Participants’ Retention
*How can this Variable be Measured ?
– # of words remembered as a measure of retention through memory (or aka RETENTION THROUGH MEMORY)
*Dimension? Frequency or Rate
Which Control Procedure Was Used?
How should we frame our Hypothesis?
A Non-Directional Hypothesis (For This Experiment) will like be something along the line of A DIFFERENCE between the groups according to words remembered was expected. We’re not gonna say they’re gonna remember more words/fewer words, just saying that there will be a difference between the 2 groups according to the words they remember.
HOW WERE THE GROUPS FORMED?
What was the Experimental Design?
A Between- Subject Design & A Within-Subject Design
*Between-Subject Design?: What normally is happening in terms of what participants are exposed to? Participants are Exposed to only one treatment level of the Independent Variable. They were either exposed to the Auditory Presentation OR Visual Presentation.
*Within-Subject Design?: Participants are Exposed to ALL Levels of the Independent Variable. Participants would be exposed to both the presentations(Visual & Auditory). Participants would listen to the words and record & they would also view the words and then record
Confounding Variable- can affect whether or not we determine the changes of the D.V. are as a result of the I.V.
WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GROUPS?
How should we Analyze the Data?
What kind of Inferential Statistic would be the best when comparing 2 groups that were only exposed to 1 treatment? Data Analysis Procedure to use?
LAB REPORT # 1:
What Do You Need To Do?
• Write an Abstract, Introduction, Method & Results Section based on an Experiment Completed
o Title & Figure Page Will also be Included
• OBJECTIVE: Introduce Students to Writing in APA Style.
*****You’re Basically Doing Everything, EXCEPT for the DISCUSSION! Discussion will be done in class!
What do you Need To Include:
• Title Page
• Introduction MAJOR SECTIONS ARE THE: Intro, Method, & Results
• Figure Page
METHOD: What Do You Include In A Method Section?
1. Participants: can use (There are 21 COLLEGE Participants that are PSYCHOLOGY MAJOR STUDENTS) try to be as specific as possible (i.e. How Many?, Gender, Age(not needed for this lab), Nature of Participation(paid for participation, fulfillment of an academic requirement).
2. Setting (Virtual Synchronous Class Meeting, the participant was in her bedroom,on her bedside right next to the desk using her laptop she had placed on top of a pillow right next to her iphone ); Describe the location, the chairs, the desks/ any info. That would describe the room)
3. Materials (The experimenter used The Random Assignment Table because this table allows new groups to be formed. It’s a chart/table that contains numbers along the top as well as numbers along the left hand side, and there are blocks of numbers in the center.She used her laptop that had a built in webcam, with a stable internet/wifi connection, had access to google docs for note taking, the timer on her iphone, a Powerpoint presentation for Both Visual and Auditory Presentations, and utilized Blackboard to engage in the class experiment of the amount of words that were remembered and then recorded. ). Information related to the items used in the experiment, Describe Materials for the ENTIRE EXPERIMENT, Use Complete sentences in your Description. What materials were used?
4. Experimental Design Describe the design:within or between -subjects(this was between-subjects design), Describe any Control Procedures that were used: i.e. Order of conditions if applicable, Assignment of participants to conditions (Random Assignment was used as a means of Control), Name IV(The Independent Variable was the type of presentation), describe the levels of the IV(The levels of the Independent Variable was the Visual Presentation and Auditory Presentation), Name the DV(The Dependent Variable were the Number of words correctly recalled).
5. Procedure Concise description of the experimental procedures, organize this section in the order we did things in class, Describe each step(When participants started the task, any instructions given).
2). One group Left the Session for 10-15 minutes (Group A was the visual, went 1st, then left for 10-15 min, then Group B the auditory went in next. Instructions were the same).
3). Instructions were provided
4). Words were Presented (words were presented in visually)
5). 2 minute time limit (participants had a 2 min time limit to recall the words that they could remember)
6). Review words that appeared (participants were asked to record the the words
7). Report # Correctly Completed to Experimenter
9). Data Analysis
` WRITE IN PARAGRAPH FORM