COUN 539 Theories of Counseling
Theory Analysis Paper
Your Name: Theory: Existential Therapy Date:
Do not let your responses to each of these questions be guided or limited by the space between each item below. The space for your answer will automatically expand to accept more narrative. I am looking for no fewer than 2,500 words (including those already on the page) for this Theory Analysis paper including evidence that you know and understand the theory. One word or even one or two sentence answers will not be adequate to answer these questions.
1. Who is/are the founder(s) and/or major contributor(s) to this theory?
Compare the unique contributions of at least three of the prominent existential thinkers and therapists.
2. Describe these key concepts that characterize existential philosophy and therapy?
a. The capacity for self awareness
b. freedom and responsibility
c. Striving for identity and relationship to others intimacy and isolation
d. The search for meaning
e. Anxiety as a condition of living
f. Awareness of death and nonbeing
3. Identify the therapeutic goals of existential therapy.
4. Describe the unique emphasis placed on the therapeutic relationship and the therapist function and role in existential therapy.
5. Describe the client’s experience in therapy.
6. Describe three phases in existential counseling.
7. What clients might be most appropriate for existential counseling?
8. Describe existential therapy from a multicultural perspective. Include strengths and weaknesses.