Instructions: For this assignment, you are going to create a PowerPoint presentation on Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for the Professional Nursing Practice Essential VI. Presentation needs to be 11-12 slides. Also, must include a few pages 4-5 (more or less) Word document that outline and summarize each presentation slide, this separate word document will be used as a “flash card”/ speaker notes to further elaborate each slide when presenting. Also attached below after the APA Format instructions on the bottom you can see information about Essential VI and can include some of the sample content into the presentation. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further information.
Topic: Essential VI: Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving Patient Health Outcomes
The Essential and Impact to Nursing Practice
• Develop a multimedia presentation defining and explaining the purpose of Essential VI.
• Thoroughly explain how the topics in the Essential impacts nursing practice. Include specific examples of how nurses can utilize each concept to improve nursing care and advance the field.
• Minimum of 11-12 slides not including title and reference slides. Presentation content should flow in a
logical and organized manner. Using notes within the presentation is optional. Slides should have no more than 6 bullet points and each bullet point should have no more than 6 words. Add pictures, graphs or charts to enhance understanding of content.
• Include a minimum of three scholarly/professional peer-reviewed references.
o With the exception of The AACN Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice, references used in this paper should be no more than five years old. Exceptions include seminal works, such as original publications by nurse theorists (classic source).
o Use only scholarly/professional, peer-reviewed references. Do not use Wikipedia or internet
sources that are not officially recognized as authority websites, as such websites are not scholarly
sources. Also, keep in mind that not every .org domain is an authoritative website.
• Presentation should follow APA guidelines
o Appropriate in-text/slide reference citations
o Reference page, in correct APA format
o Skillful and proficient writing using appropriate spelling, grammar, punctuation and mechanics.
Essential VI: Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving
Patient Health Outcomes
Effective communication and collaboration among health professionals is imperative to
providing patient ¬centered care. All health professions are challenged to educate future
clinicians to deliver patient ¬centered care as members of an interprofessional team,
emphasizing communication, evidence¬ based practice, quality improvement approaches,
and informatics (IOM, 2003a). Interprofessional education is defined as interactive
educational activities involving two or more professions that foster collaboration to
improve patient care (Freeth, Hammick, Koppel, & Reeves, 2002). Teamwork among
healthcare professionals is associated with delivering high quality and safe patient care
(Barnsteiner, Disch, Hall, Mayer, & Moore, 2007). Collaboration is based on the
complementarities of roles and the understanding of these roles by the members of the
Interprofessional education enables the baccalaureate graduate to enter the workplace
with baseline competencies and confidence for interactions and with communication
skills that will improve practice, thus yielding better patient outcomes. Interprofessional
education can occur in a variety of settings. An essential component for the
establishment of collegial relationships is recognition of the unique discipline specific
practice spheres. Fundamental to effective interprofessional and intra¬professional
collaboration is a definition of shared goals; clear role expectations of members; a
flexible decision¬ making process; and the establishment of open communication patterns
and leadership. Thus, interprofessional education optimizes opportunities for the
development of respect and trust for other members of the healthcare team.
The baccalaureate program prepares the graduate to:
1. Compare/contrast the roles and perspectives of the nursing profession with other
care professionals on the healthcare team (i.e., scope of discipline, education and
2. Use inter¬ and intraprofessional communication and collaborative skills to deliver
evidence ¬based, patient ¬centered care.
3. Incorporate effective communication techniques, including negotiation and
conflict resolution to produce positive professional working relationships.
4. Contribute the unique nursing perspective to interprofessional teams to optimize
5. Demonstrate appropriate teambuilding and collaborative strategies when working
with interprofessional teams.
6. Advocate for high quality and safe patient care as a member of the
• interprofessional and intraprofessional communication, collaboration, and
socialization, with consideration of principles related to communication with
• teamwork/concepts of teambuilding/cooperative learning
• professional roles, knowledge translation, role boundaries, and diverse
• relationship building
• navigating complex systems, system facilitation
• interdependence and resource sharing of healthcare professions
• individual accountability/shared accountability
• ethical codes and core values of different healthcare professions
• scopes of practice
• conflict management, conflict resolution strategies, and negotiation
• group dynamics
• principles of referral process for specialized services
• participatory decision¬ making