1. Discuss three key reasons why so many construction firms fail each year? (Max. 200 words)
from week2 question 2
Guidelines: Possible reasons that cause business failures in construction: low profit margins, lack
of managerial experience, weather hazards, etc. You may use examples to support your
2. Discuss some of the key barriers to the adoption of value management in construction
projects and suggest possible measures in overcoming the respective barriers. (Max. 200
words) from week 2 question 3
Guidelines: Possible barriers to the adoption of VM: for e.g., Table I in Aghimien et al. (2018)
Possible measures in overcoming the respective barriers: Aghimien et al. (2018) and Yu et al.
(2018), for example, the role of training and education, the role of government, etc.
3. Discuss what are the three key precautions for using existing cost database before applying it
to new projects and/or new situations? (Max. 200 words) from week 3 question 1
Guidelines: Key precautions – for e.g., reliability and accuracy of cost databases and the
characteristics of new projects
4. For international comparison of construction costs, what are the key challenges and which
method has been suggested by researchers to obtain a reliable comparison? Briefly explain
the suggested method. (Max. 200 words) from week 3 question 2
Guidelines: The key challenges: for e.g., the need to consider many factors including project size
and quality, land costs, professional fees, grants, and taxation. You may use an example to explain
the method suggested by researchers.
5. Provide an overview of the accuracy and reliability of pre-tender estimates in the
construction industry; and discuss the factors that affect accuracy and reliability in pretender estimates. (Max. 200 words) from week 4 question 2
Guidelines: there are articles on accuracy and reliability of pretender estimates in different
countries. You may also search for additional readings to provide an overview of this issue in the
6. Discuss how can elemental cost planning add value to a construction project? Use an
example to justify your answer. (Max. 200 words) week 4 question 3
Guidelines: Use an example to justify your discussion. For example, discuss the importance of
cost planning at project design stage and how it could contribute towards a cost-effectiveness
and value-for-money design. Your example can be based on different elements of a building.
7. Discuss three possible challenges in applying the cost feedback information from site
personnel in tender estimating? Make suggestions on how to address the challenges. (Max.
200 words) from week 5 question 1
Guidelines: Based on the cost feedback loop and type of feedback information on the lecture
slides, discuss the possible challenges and make suggestions on how to address the challenges.
For example, the challenges may include high variability in terms of output rates and productivity,
and poor site recording system.
8. Discuss three key criteria for clients’ selection of contractors other than cost, time and
quality. (Max. 200 words) from week 5 question 3
Guidelines: there are articles on the relative importance of contractor selection criteria. Select
three key criteria from the literature and discuss them in a critical manner.
9. Provide an overview of the payment disputes in the construction industry, and discuss the
key causes of payment disputes attributed to construction clients. (Max. 200 words) from
week 7 question 1
Guidelines: there are articles on payment problems and causes in the construction industry. For
the second part of this question, focus on key causes attributed to construction clients. You may
also search for additional readings in completing this question.
10. Discuss the (i) key causes of claims in construction projects, and (ii) the challenges in
managing construction claims from the Consultant Quantity Surveyors’ perspective. (Max.
200 words) from week 7 question 2
Guidelines: there are articles on problems and causes of construction claims, and management of
construction claims from consultant’s perspective. For example, one of the key challenges is
inadequate information in contractors’ claims. You may also search for additional readings in
completing this question.