Summary of the Assignment:
• Task: In this assignment, you will write an essay in which you compare and contrast
two websites for their use of proximity, alignment, repetition, and contrast.
• Length: 800-1100 words
• Graphics: You must include at least eight graphics in order to provide support for your
claims in the essay
o at least two graphics for proximity
o at least two graphics for alignment
o at least two graphics for repetition
o at least two graphics for contrast
Brief Description and Strategies to Follow:
You must select two websites of the same topic or genre. In other words, you can select two
banking websites, two shopping websites, two newspapers online, two health provider websites,
or something of this nature.
Possibilities include the following:
• The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal
• eBay and Craigslist
• Major League Baseball (mlb.com) and the National Football League (nfl.com)
You will write at least six paragraphs:
• An introductory paragraph
• A paragraph on proximity
• A paragraph on alignment
• A paragraph on repetition
• A paragraph on contrast
• A concluding paragraph
Again, each paragraph will incorporate at least two graphics in order to show how each of the
four areas compares and contrasts between the two websites.
You do not have to follow this order. However,
you do want to cover these four concepts.
Helpful Guides and Resources:
• Compare/Contrast Essays by Lumen Learning
• Comparing and Contrasting from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Your instructor will notify you of the due date. You will write a first draft, your instructor will
comment on the first draft, and you will submit a second draft using the comments as your guide.