CNA341 Assessment task 2: Presentation
Appraising the evidence and answering your question
As a registered nurse, you need to be able to use research evidence to underpin your practice, and you also need to be able to communicate this evidence to other health professionals. In this assessment task, you will use the four articles you found in assessment task 1 to explore your topic further, appraising the evidence found and using this to answer your question. You will convey your discoveries as a presentation, in which you will:
• Reintroduce your question and provide a brief context and identify the four articles you have chosen to use to answer/address this question.
• Evaluate the level of evidence provided by the articles you found in AT1, using a recognised hierarchy of evidence;
• Using an appropriate appraisal tool (eg CASP), appraise ONE of your articles to evaluate the strength of evidence it provides;
• Synthesise the evidence from your four articles to identify results (quantitative) or findings (qualitative), and overarching/common themes;
• Answer your clinical question based on the evidence found, including recommendations for practice and for future research if necessary.
Re introducing Question from Assessment 1
“Do management programs conducted by primary care providers have effects of reducing obesity on Adults?”
The Articles of Study
Various articles will be appraised to determine the evidence-based method in managing and treating adult obesity in primary care. The four articled to be evaluated in this study included:
1. Transtheoretical model stages of change for dietary and physical exercise modification in weight loss management for overweight and obese adults
2. Interventions to change the behavior of health professionals and the organization of care to promote weight reduction in children and adults with overweight or obesity.
3. Obesity: Risk factors, complications, and strategies for sustainable long‐term weight management.
4. Effects of a weight management program delivered by social media on weight and metabolic syndrome risk factors in overweight and obese adults: A randomized controlled trial.
Marking criteria: more information
After re-introducing your topic/question to set the context of your presentation, you need to cover the following aspects.
1. Demonstrates ability to determine strength of evidence in relation to a recognised hierarchy.
Relate the level of evidence provided by your four articles to the concept of ‘hierarchy of evidence’, to provide a critique of the strength of the findings and the appropriateness of the designs and methods used. You may use any hierarchy you like, but this should come from a recognised source and be referenced. A brief explanation of the hierarchy should be given.
2. Demonstrates ability to critically appraise research papers.
Choose one of the articles, identify an appropriate appraisal tool, and evaluate the evidence provided by this particular study. You should use evidence from the article to support your answers to the tool questions.
3. Demonstrates ability to synthesise research findings from multiple sources.
What are the common themes that appear in all of the studies you have found? What results or findings do they have in common, and what do they disagree on? Do they differ depending on context? Are there gaps in the evidence provided?
4. Demonstrates ability to make evidence-informed clinical decisions related to an identified topic.
Using the evidence from your articles, and with reference to the context of your question and any gaps in evidence noted above, provide an answer to your question if possible. If this is not a clear-cut decision, make recommendations for practice based on ethical principles of beneficence and non-maleficence, and provide suggestions for future research that would help fill the gaps in the evidence base or provide more useful answers.
5. Effectively disseminates findings using appropriate communication techniques.
Your presentation should be aimed at your peers (ie other registered nurses), using appropriate language and terminology, and giving enough explanation for your audience to understand the concepts covered. A reference list should be provided and noted appropriately throughout your presentation on either the slides or any visual materials used. You may incorporate visual materials, props and small clips in your video presentation if you wish. It is essential that you display professionalism throughout your presentation.
Presentations should include a reference list at the end of the show, citing all resources used. The completed CASP tool should also be uploaded.