Give two examples from the Climate of Doubt video that illustrate how the media may help promote or help
2) How do the skeptics “diminish the credibility of the scientific consensus” and “spread the message of
doubt?” Include analysis of “going down the up escalator” and the Oregon Petition as pseudoscience.
3) What do you think are the motivations behind climate denial, based on the video? Who are the key players
seen in the video and what are their credentials? What industries are cited as being heavily involved, and who
are some of the key players with ties to industries?
4) Discuss the failed North Carolina legislation to “legislate climate change out of existence.” How did the
skeptics win, even though the legislation was not passed (what is the next step)?
5) What is the Web of Denial? Why are US Senators taking action by supporting the Senate Web of Denial
6) Briefly describe two or three techniques breeders have traditionally used to manipulate the characteristics of
7) What are some of the arguments for (in favor of), and/or benefits of, genetic engineering of plants in
8) Describe 3 specific examples of crops successfully enhanced by GE – what were they, what was the issue,
and how were they engineered to fix the issue?
9) What is the scientific consensus (conclusions from scientists) regarding the safety of GE foods?
10) Provide some of your own reflections regarding the speaker’s arguments. Suggestions: Do you agree or
disagree with any of these main points? To what extent do you find the arguments persuasive? Was there
anything you learned that was new or surprising