The purpose of this assignment is to identify potential strengths and weaknesses to better prepare the student for the: (a) APEA post-predictor Exam, (b)
national certification exam after graduation (i.e., ANCC, AANP), and (c) first year of FNP clinical practice. A certification review study plan will be created to
address any identified content-area opportunities for improvement. This study plan should be used throughout the course to guide the student.
1. Review the results of the APEA Pre-Predictor exam taken during NR603 in detail. Include a copy of this report as an appendix in your assignment
2. Review the following APEA knowledge areas: Cardiovascular, dermatology, endocrine, EENT, gastroenterology, health promotion, hematology, men’s health,
neurology, orthopedics, pediatrics, pregnancy, professional issues, psychiatry, respiratory, sexually transmitted infections, urology, and women’s health.
3. Review the following APEA testing domains: Assessment, diagnosis, evaluation, pharmacotherapeutics, and planning and intervention.
4. There must be a minimum of four (4) knowledge areas and two (2) testing domains included in the study plan (additional weak areas are encouraged to be
included). At a minimum, the student should select the lowest scored four (4) knowledge areas and the lowest scored two (2) testing domains.
5. The study plan must include at least six (6) total learning goals based on the knowledge areas and testing domains (see above). Each goal must have at
least four (4) associated learning activities, a timeline for completion (within the current class timeframe), and a reflection.
6. Learning activities must be clearly identified and detailed.
7. Learning activities may include, but are not limited to:
o Practicing with subject specific and additional 150 question exams in the APEA myQbank
o Additional time studying specific areas of the APEA review module
o Watching a webinar
o Reading specific journal articles
o Attending a conference or workshop
o Working with preceptor in clinical setting to address identified weaknesses
o Reviewing case studies
o Going through a practice simulation
o Studying from the certification review textbook
o Attending a live certification review course
Preparing the Assignment
The assignment must be completed in a table format (see below) or organized in such a way that each learning goal is clearly separated and easily
Learning Goal (identified from APEA-Pre-Predictor Exam)
What do you want to accomplish? Learning Activities
How are you going to accomplish your goal? Timeline
When do what to accomplish your goal? Reflection
How will accomplishing your goal improve your certification preparation or make you a better nurse practitioner?
Improve my knowledge of respiratory function and diseases. Complete respiratory subject specific exams in the APEA myQbank. I will continue to practice
with these until I consistently score at least 90%.
Review respiratory/pulmonary in the Clinical Guidelines in Primary Care textbook.
Read at least 4-advanced practice nursing/medical journal articles related to respiratory.
Ask my preceptor to guide me through a detailed lung assessment at my clinical site.
Attend the on ground FNP Intensive and focus on respiratory during the review. The majority of this goal will be accomplished by week 5 and will be reviewed
as necessary through week 8 of this course. Learning activity number 5 will be accomplished by week 8. Improving my respiratory assessment and diagnosis
skills will ensure that I have the knowledge to make the best care decisions for my patients. Increasing my understanding about the disease process and
medications will help me communicate with my colleagues and recognize changes in my patients that I may not have recognized without this knowledge.
Additionally, increasing my knowledge in this area will better prepare me to be successful on my national certification exam.