At least 3 weeks prior to each lab & lecture exam, a case study assignment will be released featuring a case study for which students will answers questions regarding the disease you choose.
Format: 7-8 pg’s, typed (single-sided, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12 pt. font with 1” margins on all sides) paper. Pages MUST be stapled before turned in, pages get lost!
Sources: 2 sources other than textbook. WIKIPEDIA is not an acceptable source.
Citations on a separate reference page
In-text citations (annotation) throughout the paper. Please see THE OWL (online writing lab at Perdue) for help. The writing center can help you with this.
(No credit will be awarded if sources are not cited throughout the paper
– Each question must be answered thoroughly for full credit!
If Plagiarism is found, a grade of zero is given, no re-writes granted.
PROPER REFERENCES – Can get information on Perdue – The Owl
** English 101 is a pre-requisite for this course, so it is assumed that you ALREADY know how to write a proper paper, complete with proper referencing procedures. If you DO NOT KNOW how to write a paper and need assistance, please go to the English Dept or the tutoring center and they are more than happy to help you with this for free. The professor does not have the time to “review your paper” or look it over to see if you’re doing it correctly. Please get help if it is needed.
Referencing a TEXTBOOK example:
1. Hofmeister, Patricia, year of publication of the book, title of the work, place of publication, City, State, volume or edition, publisher name, Page Number
You may list again if a different page NUMBER for a BOOK was used,
1. Hofmeister, Patricia, year of publication of the book, the title of the work, place of publication, City, State, volume or edition, publisher name, Page Number (NOT A SERIES OF NUMBERS)
1. Hofmeister, Patricia, year of publication of the book, the title of the work, place of publication, City, State, volume or edition, publisher name, pg 20 – Q 1., page 21 – Q 2.
(Indicating what specific page you used to answer each question)
I FULLY UNDERSTAND THERE ARE MANY VARIATIONS THAT PURDUE GIVES, IE: SOME FOR
CERTAIN BOOKS OR PUBLICATIONS, IM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT ALL THAT, DO ALL THE SAME FOR TEXTBOOK REFERENCING. I NEED THE SPECIFIC PAGES SIMPLY BECAUSE I NEED TO FIND WHERE YOU GOT YOUR INFORMATION FROM, IN A TIMELY MANNER SO THAT I CAN GIVE YOU CREDIT.
Referencing an INTERNET source example:
1. Hofmeister, Patricia, year of publication, the title of the work, place of publication, City, State, volume/issue, retrieved from – URL www.greenmedinfo.com
How to do “in-text” citation:
Studies show that high cholesterol leads to coronary heart disease.1
NOTICE THERE IS ONLY A NUMBER, NO AUTHOR, NOTHING ELSE, JUST A NUMBER. THE NUMBER “1” PERTAINS TO THE FIRST REFERENCE.
THE SECOND REFERENCE HAS A NUMBER “2”, SO ALL THE INFORMATION FROM THIS HAS AN “IN-TEXT CITATION OF “ 2”
If you WANT credit for your paper, please be sure each is accounted for.
1. Separate referenced bibliography page √
2. “In text” citation throughout the paper (see above) √ _____
-The citation should be a NUMBER ONLY. NOT THE AUTHORS NAME
-If the same reference is used for an entire paragraph, you may put your citation at the end of the paragraph.
– sentences without citations = no credit for that question.
– No more than 2 direct quotes in your paper. √ ___________
– If you use a graph or a compare and contrast, citation is needed. √ ___________
3. No Personal testimony.
4. Each paper should be typed, stapled, & a minimum of 7-8 full pages. √ ___________
The reference page can count for the 7th or 8th page. Single-sided, double-spaced,
Times New Roman, 12pt font with 1” margins on all sides and stapled.
-NO CHECKLIST ATTACHED = 10 POINT DEDUCTION,
– EXCESSIVE SPACING AFTER EACH PARAGRAPH = POINTS DEDUCTED
5. Sources: √ ____________
-Minimum of 2 sources, other than your textbook. Maximum of 5 sources.
-All sources must have an AUTHOR, (sources without an author invalidates information from
that source = no credit)
-A URL source MUST be listed properly with each reference unless a text is used.
– points deducted for improper referencing
6. Your references should NOT be used word for word or it’s considered plagiarism!! √ _______
1 sentence with plagiarism = NO CREDIT FOR THE PAPER
Reword your sentences ENTIRELY, NOT JUST A FEW WORDS.
CASE STUDY QUESTIONS –
ALL YOUR ANSWERS SHOULD BE IN FULL SENTENCES AND IN ESSAY FORMAT. EACH QUESTION SHOULD BE ANSWERED COMPLETELY FOR FULL CREDIT! YOU MUST INCLUDE
THE COVER SHEET WITH THE CHECKLIST TO BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE ACCOUNTED FOR ALL REQUIREMENTS.
RESEARCH TOPIC: “BURSITIS”
Q1. What is the main Pathology for this disease? Who primarily gets it and why? 15 points
Q2. How is this disease diagnosed and what are the necessary laboratory findings specific to this disease? Please include blood work, radiology, and necessary clinical tools for proper diagnosis in the medical community? 10 points
Q3. Are there any significant signs and symptoms common to this disease? Are there similar diseases that might get confused with this disease? Compare how you would rule in or out the difference between the different diseases similar to this one? You must write this in essay format and then you can include a grid for compare and contrast.
25 points MINIMUM OF 40 SENTENCES FOR THIS QUESTION
Q4. Is there a genetic component to this disease? And what is the like hood that it will be inherited?
Q5. How is this disease commonly treated in the medical community and what is the prognosis after treatment? Please include if there are any natural therapies accepted amongst the medical community? (Natural therapies: massage, exercise, nutrition, etc.)