Demonstrate an awareness of the impact of cultural diversity on the counseling process.
- Case study – A parent of a middle-school aged child (11-14) has contacted you seeking disciplinary strategies to address student performance and behavior. Information the parent has provided to you includes the following: their child has been disrupting classroom environment, not doing homework, and has recently been performing below ability. Regarding the child’s family environment, the parents have recently separated and a grandparent is providing some childcare. You are to approach this assignment in the role of mental health or school counselor, depending on your professional aspiration.
- Identify yourself in terms of culture/ethnicity, gender, ability status, or other areas you find most relevant. How does your background influence your theoretical approach to the counseling process? This may include both effective and ineffective influences. What biases and values, areas of privilege, and areas of oppression do you bring to the counseling setting? (approximately 1-2 pages)
- Superimpose on the case study two distinct culture and/or diversity “statuses.” Choose from the categories identified in chapters 14-26 of Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice by Sue and Sue. (Approximately 3-5 pages total for this section). These statues include:
Text Part IV (Chapters 14-18)
African Americans – Chapter 14
American Indians/Native Americans and Alaska Natives – Chapter 15
Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders – Chapter 16
Latino/as – Chapter 17
Multiracial Individuals – Chapter 18
Text Part VII (Chapters 19-21)
Arab Americans and Muslim Americans – Chapter 19
Immigrants and Refugees – Chapter 20
Jewish Americans – Chapter 21
Text Part VIII (Chapters 22-26)
Individuals with Disabilities – Chapter 22
LGBT Individuals – Chapter 23
Older Adults – Chapter 24
Individuals Living in Poverty – Chapter 25
Women – Chapter 26
- Identify three key issues that are relevant for each of the two cultural/status groups you are investigating (e.g., strengths, challenges and implications for practice).
- Cite at least two relevant empirical articles from peer reviewed counseling journals (in addition to the text) for each cultural/status group that illuminate the case study themes. Be sure to include a separate reference list.
- For each case based on the cultural/status groups, identify two potential areas of focus in the counseling setting (clinical or school). Indicate the distinctions among the cultural groups you have chosen.
- As the result of this assessment of your own background and of the three students/clients’ backgrounds, analyze the presenting problems and counseling strategies that you would consider implementing as you work with the individual and family in each of the case studies you created. (approximately 2-3 pages for this section) (Total pages for this assignment have ranged from 6 to 10 pages excluding references).