For this assignment, you will write a paper based on your reading of one of the books from the list provided in the course syllabus. This paper will include both analytical review and personal reflection. Below are the guidelines. A significant portion of your grade depends on your ability to include specific references to the book you read, the course textbook, lectures, and your ability to demonstrate your understanding of case management concepts and practice.
1. Introduce the book and the main character(s). What was the primary issue(s) or challenge(s) being faced by the main character(s)? Locate at least 3 current scholarly, peer-reviewed articles and summarize relevant statistics or information as it relates to the primary issue(s) you’ve identified. Acting as the case manager, identify who the primary client is & why. Conclude by summarizing what the paper will discuss.
2. Pick one of the main characters to focus on for this section. Using the ecological model, discuss how the character’s options and responses to the issue they faced were shaped across the 3 levels (micro, messo, macro). What observations can you make about the character’s micro level? How did the micro level influence their options and ability to respond to the issue? Discuss the interactions at the messo and macro level as well and provide examples of interactions that influenced their options and ability to respond to the issue. Include an attachment of an eco-map for one of the main characters.
3. Re-visit your primary client and the issue they are experiencing. Identify research that discusses the appropriate type of services (case management or other) to address the issue. What other characters in the book would you involve in the case management process and why? As you begin assessment with the primary client, identify 3 open-ended questions that would help you understand how they see the issue – explain how each question supports you in the case management process. What are at least 3 potential challenges that could be a barrier in successfully engaging in services? Identify at least 3 strengths that you can draw on to help overcome the challenges and support the client’s success.
4. Moving the client to the service plan, identify at least 2 types of support they would need (first column in the service plan). Next, identify at least 1 goal for each type of support needed. What would be specific objectives you could help develop that would move them toward accomplishing the goals? For each goal, you need to identify an actual agency or community resource that you could refer them to (you can use local agencies/resources). Provide the rationale as to why these are appropriate referrals.
5. Reflecting on your own values regarding the issue being faced in the book, what was your reaction to the story? Discuss the emotions or reactions you experienced regarding the main character(s)? How do you think your personal values influenced the way you felt and reacted towards the character(s)? What would challenge you as a professional in your ability to work with either the victim(s) or the perpetrator(s) in this book? What skills or knowledge do you currently possess that would enable you to successfully work with client(s) experiencing this issue? What additional skills or knowledge do you need to develop your professional abilities towards working with this population?
Requirements & Grading:
1. Minimum of 6 pages (a title page and abstract are not required)
2. double-spaced, 1” margins
3. APA style – parenthetical citations & a reference page must be included
4. This paper is worth 60 points.
DUE DATE: Week 16 by the posted deadline
Some of the topics discussed in the book may bring up past or present issues that you are dealing with; if at any time you need further assistance in dealing with a topic, you may want to contact CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) on campus at 278-3040, which provide free services to students.
The following is a suggested outline to help you follow the assignment guidelines. You can utilize this to support your effort in organizing the paper and completing the assignment.
Paragraph 1: Introduce the book, the characters, and the basic plot.
Paragraph 2: Highlight the primary issue(s) that are experienced by the main character(s). Include current data/statistics the show the prevalence/severity of the issue. The research that you use in your discussion serves to demonstrate that the issue is still relevant and how people experience the issue. You should try to find recent statistics (not older than 5 years) and research (not older than 10yrs). Be sure to cite in APA
Paragraph 3: Identify who the primary client is that you, as the case manager, will be focusing on.
Conclude by identifying what will be discussed in the remaining sections of this report
II. Ecological Model
Paragraph 1: A brief introduction to this section discussing the purpose of the ecological model as an assessment tool. It’s helpful to refer to the course textbook (be sure to cite in APA).
Paragraphs 2-4: Use the subheadings Micro, Messo, Macro and develop a paragraph for each level that discusses the characteristics and relevant information at each level. Don’t forget to identify what characteristics are strengths and which might pose a challenge for the client. Use evidence from the book to support each paragraph – for example, if you identify “introvert” at the micro level, find a quote from the book that supports that assessment (be sure to cite in APA format).
Attach a completed eco-map after the reference page, at the end of the paper
III. Implications for Case Management
Paragraph 1: A brief introduction to this section that includes the overall purpose and process of case management – use the course text for support, including direct quotes. You should locate research that discusses case management as a potential model for addressing the issue – if you can’t find research on this then try to find research that discusses a promising approach to working with clients who experience the issue. (be sure to cite in APA format).
Paragraphs 2-4: Use the subheadings Primary & Secondary Client(s); Assessment; and Challenges & Strengths and develop a paragraph for each. Follow the directions in the guidelines on page 1 for this section. For the Assessment subsection, it is okay to list out the three questions; however, please provide a brief discussion beneath each question as to how that question supports the case manager with the assessment and case management process.
IV. Service Planning
Use the following headings
Type of Support
Goal #1 [type the goal statement and make sure to end with “as evidenced by…”] Objectives: [number them 1.1, 1.2, etc] Agency Referral: Include the name of agency/program, the location, and specific eligibility criteria or other useful information that a case manager would want to make sure the client knew about the referral. Include a brief discussion as to why this would be an appropriate referral.
Include the Service Plan document as an attachment, after the eco-map
IV. Personal Reflection – ONLY PLACE THAT SHOULD BE SELF-NARRATIVE
This is the only section where you would put “I”. Be sure to respond to the prompt questions on the assignment guidelines.
Grading Rubric – for a detailed rubric, see the rubric posted in the assignment on Canvas.
Introduction – 15 points
Student clearly identifies the main character(s) and the basic plot. There is recent data/statistics to demonstrate the severity of the issue (statistics are not older than 5 years). There is research used to demonstrate what clients experience as a result of the issue. Student has advanced ability to develop a clear discussion that demonstrates their understanding of the issue and how it impacts the client and community.
Ecological Model – 10 points
Student provides all of the criteria: Discussion of 1 character & their interactions at the Micro, messo, and macro levels Attached eco-map; Demonstrates an advanced understanding of the ecological model and the ability to successfully discuss each level tying in examples from the book and course text
Implications for Case Management – 12 points
Student demonstrates advanced ability in discussing the Primary client(s), secondary client(s) & rationale.
The 3 open-ended questions exemplify active engagement & the ability to draw out the client. Student has provided a thoughtful rationale as to how the questions help with assessment.
Student identifies 3 Challenges & 3 Strengths and includes a thoughtful discussion showing that they understand the client. The student demonstrates advanced ability to use quotes/details and support from the book and/or course text to enhance their discussion.
Service Planning – 12 points
All criteria are met. Student demonstrates an advanced ability to accurately distinguish between types of support, goals & objectives. This section demonstrates exemplary evidence of the ability to correctly write goals & objectives. Each goal has at least 2 objectives. Agency information is provided. The rationale is provided and demonstrates thoughtful consideration in the referrals made according to the needs of the client. Service plan is attached.
Reflection – 5 points
Student thoughtfully addresses the prompt questions & demonstrates proficient ability to be introspective. The student demonstrates thoughtful introspection and has used the reflection to discuss their personal & professional development.
Grammar/Structure – 4 points
Student demonstrates a proficient ability to organize their thoughts & produce a clearly written paper. Little to no issues with grammar/spelling. Paper follows a well-organized structure.
References – 2 points
Student demonstrates proficient ability in APA format for all parenthetical citations. Reference Page included
TOTAL 60 Points