The purpose of this assignment is threefold:
1. To synthesize how content learned throughout the course impacts patient care.
2. To analyze progress towards meeting course objectives.
3. To refine writing skills.
Upon completion of this course the student will:
1. Apply group process and team building skills within the health care team to promote patient outcomes.
2. Express the unique nursing perspective to interprofessional teams to optimize patient outcomes.
3. Examine how ethical issues are identified and resolved within the microsystem.
4. Engage in ethical reasoning and actions to support the role of patient advocate in a microsystem.
5. Demonstrate the ability to perform the role of advocate for healthcare consumers.
6. Articulate the pursuit of a nursing practice based on the concepts of excellence, life-long learning, and professional growth.
7. Demonstrate an awareness of patients, as well as, the healthcare professionals’ spiritual beliefs and values, and how those beliefs and values impact health care.
Step I: Review of Prompts
Prior to watching the movie Wit, review the Final Essay Prompts below. You will need to select only two of these prompts to respond to for the final essay. Each prompt has two key words or phrases that are underlined. The underlined portions should be fully addressed in your essay as they are related to the course objectives. You may use readings from class and/or other credible references to support your discussion.
1. Compare and contrast the ethical reasoning and advocacy actions of Susan, Dr. Posner, and Dr. Kalekian in Vivian Bearing’s diagnosis, treatment, and death. Describe how their reasoning and advocacy relate to course content and/or other supporting, credible references.
2. Describe the unique nursing perspective offered by Susan to the interprofessional team and whether or not you believe the outcomes of Vivian’s care were optimized due to Susan’s actions. Incorporate course content and/or other credible references to support your discussion.
3. Analyze group process and teambuilding skills that were evident (or lacking) by the healthcare team and how these skills (or lack of skills) impacted Vivian Bearing’s care. Incorporate course learning/readings into your description and/or other credible sources.
4. The movie accurately portrays how ethical issues should be identified and resolved in regard to patient care, treatment, and end of life issues. Argue for or against this statement and describe why you do or do not disagree. Incorporate course content into your argument and/or other credible references.
5. Describe how the spiritual beliefs and values of the patient and healthcare professionals’ impacted Vivian’s treatment and care from the beginning to the end of the movie. Utilize sources from class or other credible references in your response.
6. Identify Susan’s actions in advocating for Vivian’s care and health and how these impacted patient care. Discuss other ways Susan could have performed the role of advocate in order to promote ethical care for the patient with the interprofessional team. Support your discussion with course content or other credible references.
Step II: Watch the movie “WIT”
There are several options for watching this movie. Please know you are not expected to have to pay to view this movie unless you so choose.
• YouTube (*It is broken into parts and not all of the links work. You can get what you need from the movie with the links that are available.) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDRK0jyRqamzEGoH6vBlA2fPK7rRPUg-g
• Hulu (subscription needed): https://www.hulu.com/movie/wit-fc29b3de-9e7d-456b-846a-24a21b3c43ef
• HBO (subscription needed): https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/wit
• Public libraries may also have it if you would like to check.
Step III: Write Essay
• Select two prompts to respond to after your review of the movie.
• The two prompts should be combined in one essay with only one title page and one reference list.
• The prompt should be included as the heading or in the body of the paper so it is clear which prompt you are addressing.
• Each prompt should be approximately two pages in length (not including title page and reference list).
• Essay should include 11-12-point Times New Roman or Arial font, double-spaced; a title page; appropriate margins and headers; with in-text citations and a reference list at the end of the paper in accordance with APA 7th Ed. standards.
• A minimum of three supporting references per prompt is required to achieve full points for this assignment. Examples of credible sources include but are not limited to peer-reviewed journal articles, research articles, nursing textbooks, or other materials from your nursing courses. The movie Wit does not count towards a supporting reference. A source may work for more than one essay.
• Feel free to go back and watch the movie as you are working on the essays if you need to.
• How to reference a film:
Author Date Title Publisher URL
Director date Title of work [Film]. Production company url