Using content provided in the news release memo:
• Provide the “who, what, where, when” quickly in the lead paragraph. Start with a quick path to the news,
first and best. Then move down the inverted pyramid.
• Focus on the facts. Avoid editorializing. E.g., “This will be a great event.”
• Use a quote from the perspective of at least one administrator or featured guest. Put attribution at the end
of the first sentence of the quote then add one or two more sentences. This is the only area where you can
position the announcement with opinion and “spin.”
• Include all relevant details: guests, program of events, etc.
• Six short paragraphs and a boilerplate. Double spaced. The release can carry onto a second page.
• Include a standard company boilerplate at the end.