11 MINIMUM GREEN GUIDELINES
The American Hotel and Lodging Association (AH&LA) publishes a list of eleven guidelines to help member properties become more eco-friendly.
• Each hotel should form an Environmental Committee that is responsible for developing an Environmental Green Plan for energy, water, and solid waste use.
• Manage your hotel’s environmental performance by monitoring the electric, gas, water, and waste usage information on a monthly and annual basis. Review with key personnel.
AMERICAN STANDARD Flush Valve Toilet, Floor, 1.1 or 1.6GPF
• Replace incandescent lamps with compact fluorescent lamps wherever possible.
• Install digital thermostats in guestrooms and throughout the hotel.
• Implement a towel and/or linen reuse program.
• Install 2.5-gallons per minute showerheads or less in all guestroom baths and any employee shower areas.
• Install 1.6-gallon toilets in all guestrooms.
• Implement a recycling program –including public spaces — to the full extent available in your municipality; document your efforts.
• Implement a recycling program for hazardous materials found in fluorescent bulbs, batteries, and lighting ballasts through licensed service providers.
• Purchase Energy Star labeled appliances and equipment.
• All office paper products should have 20% or more post consumer recycled content.
Source: American Hotel & Lodging Association