SCI 307 Structured External Assignment
Purpose of Assignment: Research some aspect of Physics or Chemistry using the scientific method and report on results.
Topic: Choose any topic you wish and submit it to the instructor via Blackboard by the end of the third week of the course. Frame your topic as a proposed question you are going to research. Examples (which you may choose from if you wish, or you can choose another topic of interest to you):
• Doppler effect as applied to medical procedures
• Dietary issues related to fructose
• Effectiveness of low carbohydrate diets – My Topic
• Cold fusion as a source of cheap energy
• Safety of nuclear waste disposal techniques
Methodology: You should rely primarily on data in the literature. There is no need to collect experimental data on your own. You will report on the results of your study as part of the Week 13 Discussion Board
Based on the scientific method, your investigation will be graded on:
• Hypothesis: State the topic in terms of a question your research is to answer. Use your knowledge and background to develop a hypothesis.
• Data Collection: Research the topic more thoroughly. Remember to keep track of data sources as well as the data itself. Use any convenient format to present the data (eg, tables, graphs, diagrams, etc). You should have at least 5 credible data sources.
• Data Analysis: Your analysis and interpretation of the data you have collected. Does it answer your original question? Does it support or not support your hypothesis? Remember, the hypothesis is an educated guess so data which does not support it is legitimate and significant.
• Conclusion: Was your original hypothesis correct? If not, how should it be changed?
Timetable and grading:
• Research question and hypothesis: due by Week 3 (10 points)
• Data Collection and Analysis: due by Week 14 – next to last week of semester (25 points)
• Conclusion: due by Week 14 (15 points)
• References: due by Week 14 (10 points)
• Research question and hypothesis to be submitted as Week 3 Assignment in Blackboard
• Data Collection, Analysis, Conclusion and References to be submitted as Week 14 Assignment in Blackboard