Assignment: Application: Methods Used in Qualitative Research
In order to achieve credible and trustworthy results from qualitative studies, the methodology must be
designed very carefully. That is, you must consider the process of conducting qualitative research to
address your research question. Important considerations include selecting the research question,
collecting data, engaging in data analysis and management, and selecting appropriate
For this Assignment, be sure to view this week’s Qualitative Research Design PowerPoint webinar and pay
close attention to its content on the basic elements of qualitative research methods (e.g., sample selection,
data collection, plans for interpretive analysis). Then, review the two research studies presented in this
week’s resources for this assignment.
Note: While not a required resource, you might find the definitions in the Encyclopedia of Nursing Research
helpful for this assignment.
This assignment involves identifying and describing different elements of the research method used in the
Walsh et al. (2015) article.
• Focus on the research design, sample selection, data collection methods, and plan for data analysis as
discussed in the Walsh et al. (2015) article.
• Identify at least two strengths and two weaknesses of the article’s research method based on
trustworthiness. You must provide support for your explanation with citations from additional sources.
• Use the Journal Club Template for Qualitative Research located in this week’s resources.
• The template includes an area for each element discussed in the study.
• Be brief, paraphrase and summarize each of the elements clearly on the form
Gray, J. R, Grove, S. K., & Sutherland, S. (2017). The practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis,
and generation of evidence (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
• Chapter 4, “Introduction to Qualitative Research” (pp. 62-73)
• Chapter 12, “Qualitative Research Methods” (pp. 251-281)
Bamm, E. L., Rosenbaum, P., Wilkins, S., Stratford, P., & Mahlberg, N. (2015). Exploring client-centered
care experiences in in-patient rehabilitation settings. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 2, 1–11.
Sarvestani, R. S., Moattari, M., Nasrabadi, A. N., Momennasab, M., & Yektatalab, S. (2015). Challenges of
nursing handover: A qualitative study. Clinical Nursing Research, 24(3), 234–252.
Stiffler, D., Cullen, D. & Luna, G. (2014). Diabetes barriers and self-care management: The patient
perspective. Clinical Nursing Research, 23(6), 601-626.
Walsh, A., Meagher-Stewart, D. & Macdonald, M. (2015). Persistent optimizing: How mothers make food
choices for their preschool children. Qualitative Health Research, 25(4), 527-539.
Pls click on the link and watch the video od webnier