After reading through the essay “An Exercise in Body Image,” and viewing the accompanying photo essay, answer the following question in paragraph form (1 1/2—2 pages, typed and double-spaced):
1. The authors are critical of a culture that promotes exercise to improve one’s appearance. Why? What would they rather see society promote exercise as? How is their argument similar to what Jean Kilbourne argues about diet culture?
2. Why do the authors believe that rugby can be a sport that encourages female empowerment and self-love?
3. Based on what you see in the images included in the photo essay, what do you think the authors believe is the true value of a female body? What in the images suggests this? How, then, do the photos support the ideas presented in the essay?
4. How does knowing that the authors are rugby players themselves influence our reading of this text? Why?
5. Kantor, et al, include a link to this web page: https://anad.org/education-and-awareness/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/. How does this secondary source support their argument? Based on your understanding of the Framework for Information Literacy, why is this source reliable? Or, how do the authors of these statistics create authority?
6. Lastly, find two additional sources that could be used to support Kantor, et al’s argument. List these, and then tell me how they support their argument, as well as why these sources are credible.