Topic: The qualities of a good leader
• Paper is to be 6 – 8 pages in length per APA format
• No abstract. If one is included, it does not count toward the required number of pages.
The body of the paper must meet the minimum page count requirements with APA formatting for spacing and margins.
• Introduce your paper (1 – 2 paragraphs). Conclude your introduction with your thesis statement
o Thesis statement – declarative statement stating the purpose of the paper
o DO NOT USE any form of “This paper will……”
• Complete a literature search – minimum 4 professional references published within the last 5 years mandatory Summarize your readings to cover:
• What experts have said about your topic
• What the research says about your topic
• How the content applies to nursing – not to other areas of healthcare or to other industries, governments, etc.
• DO NOT critique your references. Do not discuss the research methodology found in your references. You are to read, analyze, synthesize, and summarize the content, not the process (research methodology, sampling, statistics) of your references.
• Conclude the paper
o Summarize what was said and then address:
How will you apply the concept or issue in your own professional practice?
This does not need to be a long discussion – 1 or 2 paragraphs is usually
sufficient to address. A minimum of 1 paragraph, however, is required. One to
2 sentences will not suffice for this portion of the paper and will result in a
significant deduction. Be specific as to what you will do – discuss the specific actions you will take.
Simply stating that you will incorporate the concepts is not sufficient. Use of the word “I” is OK in this section. Lack of citation may be appropriate in this section.
Please be sure to include this section of the paper – it is worth 25% of the total
points available. Failure to clearly address will result in a loss of all points.
The following additional deductions will be taken off the total grade, if applicable:
1. Five (5) points will be deducted for the use of any form of “This paper will…..” or any similar phrasing.
2. Five (5) points will be deducted for every additional 5% (or fraction thereof) of direct quotation word count at or greater than 5% of the total word count of the body of the paper (cover page, abstract if used, reference page will not be included).
a. If 5 – 9.99% of the paper is direct quotations, 5 points will be deducted
b. If 10 – 14.99% of the paper is direct quotations, 10 points will be deducted
c. Continues if the percentage of direct quotations increases.
3. Fifteen (15) points will be deducted for any of the following:
a. No citations in the body of the paper.
b. The only citations in the body of the paper are attached to direct quotations.
c. Rare citations.
4. Twenty-five (25) points will be deducted from for failure to format to APA spacing as
described above that results in a paper of less than required length when corrected to
APA spacing requirements.
5. Ten (10) points will be deducted if feedback from the paper submitted in RN 296 is not
incorporated into this paper. Feedback includes comments on the paper itself as well as
comments in the rubric. Examples include repeated use of 2nd person and 1st person
inappropriately; conversational tone to the paper (questions, common language lead-ins
into sentences, slang/jargon/nonprofessional language); corrections to citations,
reference page, etc. to conform with APA format; missing items such as running head, page numbers, etc.