Research Design and Sampling
Guideline and Rubric
As professional nurses review scholarly publications, it is important to understand the research design being and sampling used in the study. The purpose of this assignment is to investigate the role of quantitative and qualitative designs and sampling methodologies in order to appraise the value of scholarly nursing research.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
Through this assignment, the student will address the following course learning outcomes:
• CO 1: Apply findings from research and/or evidence-based inquiry to foster positive health outcomes. (POs 1 and 5)
• CO 3: Demonstrate professional growth in the use of research and/or evidence based literature to guide reflective practice in culturally diverse settings. (PO 3)
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE: 170 POINTS
Review class lesson and reading material regarding research design and sampling techniques. Create a 10 to 14 slide PowerPoint presentation to address research designs and sampling. Use a minimum of 3 scholarly nursing sources, current within 5 years, to support your work. Create your presentation to address each of the following elements:
• Quantitative Research Designs
• Qualitative Research Designs
• Methods for Sampling
1. Abide by the College of Nursing Academic Integrity Policy.
2. Use Microsoft PowerPoint to create the presentation.
3. Each slide (excluding title and reference slides) must include detailed speaker notes.
a. The purpose of the speaker notes is to expand upon the idea and document facts and information about the bulleted information points on the slide.
b. Formal, scholarly writing style with complete sentence and paragraph structure should be used to create the speaker notes.
c. Scholarly literature support should be integrated within the speaker notes.
d. Speaker notes assure that all assignment expectations and key points are covered.
4. Within the speaker notes, the rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure are followed and consistent with formal, scholarly writing as noted in the most current edition of the APA Manual.
5. First person should not be used for this scholarly assignment.
6. Citation and referencing of sources must be congruent with guidelines noted in the most current edition of the APA Manual.
7. Slides are professional in appearance with visually balanced text, font appropriate for audience reading, succinct bulleted points, and visually appealing contrast between background and font utilized. Correct spelling and appropriate use of graphics/images is evident.
8. Sources older than five years may not be used without the permission of the class professor.
9. Please note: If you do not receive a proficient rating in any major content category, you can re-submit your assignment with revisions in those content categories to receive a better grade. You have one additional opportunity to revise after the initial submission in order to make improvements. The initial submission must be a complete assignment, rough drafts will not be graded