Management Studies – Principles of Management
Source Book: MGMT, 3rd Edition: Chuck Williams, Terri Champion, Ike Hall: 9780176823283: Books – MGMT PRINCIPALS OF MANAGEMENT
Assignment 2 is an essay of not more than 1,200 words based on your study of Lessons 6 to 10. Although Lessons 6 through 10 are recommended reading for the assignment, note that most of the assignment material will be focused on Lesson 10 (Chapter 8).
You need to submit two files. You should use Microsoft Word or a compatible rich text format (.rtf) when preparing your essay. Use Word, Excel, or a .pdf format when preparing the organizational chart. This assignment is worth 15% of your final mark.
Although much of the assignment content is based on Lesson 10, you may find the content in the other lessons helpful, especially as you evaluate the organization.
This video from Lesson 2 might also help you assess your organization.
Henry Fayol’s Administrative Management (YouTube, 8:24)
• Evaluate the structure of an organization of your choosing. Provide an organization chart for the top three or four levels of the organization. [See Chapter 8, Exhibits 8.3 to 8.7 for examples. This short video may also be helpful: “What is organizational structure?” (YouTube, 2:27)] (10 marks)
• As part of your evaluation, assess the appropriateness of the method of departmentalization. (20 marks)
• What is the implication for authority? (20 marks)
• What are the implications of the current organizational structure for job design? (20 marks)
• Conclude your evaluation with your recommendation for how this organization should be organized. What improvements can be made? (15 marks)
• In preparing your evaluation, keep in mind that you are expected to express yourself in a well-written, error-free essay. (15 marks)
As you work on this assignment, don’t lose sight of the fact that you are being asked to evaluate the organizational structure. So while you will definitely have to describe it, you must also evaluate whether or not its various aspects are appropriate in light of what you know about this organization. In other words, you have to decide whether it is the right structure in light of the organization’s goals and objectives. Another thing to note here is that, while the structures of smaller organizations will be more easily evaluated, sufficient information about them will be more difficult to come by unless you choose an organization with which you are familiar. The final thing to note here is that, for this assignment, you may use the organization for which you work or one for which you have worked in the past.
As with Assignment 1, you are once again being asked to achieve the assignment’s objective with a well-crafted essay of no more than 1,200 words (not including your organization chart). As before, ensure that your name, your student ID, and the name of your organization are clearly stated at the start of your assignment. (This information is not included in the 1,200-word maximum.) When your assignment is complete, return to the Assignment 2 page in your course and follow the instructions for submitting your essay.