Local elections are coming up on November 2nd, 2021. This week in class, we learned that
voting is one type of political participation. However, it is only one of many ways you can
participate in government. (To learn about these different forms, visit pp. 254 in the textbook).
For this short paper, you are going to first read The New York Times article in D2L. Then, you
are going to reflect on your past, current, and future participation habits.
In 2 pages, please answer the following questions:
1. Past: Have you ever politically participated before?
a. If yes, when did you start? What forms of participation? What motivated you to
b. If no, why have you never participated before?
2. Present: What is your current participation behavior? How active are you with politics?
Why do you think you are at your current level of participation?
3. Future: Looking at your current participation behavior, is there anything that you would
change? Do you want to be more involved in politics? What about less involved? Maybe
the same amount of involvement? What are action steps can you take to make sure you
reach your participation goal(s)?
Category Full Points Awarded For:
10 Question 1 ● Explain your prior participation in politics and what motivated
you or did not motivate you to participate
10 Question 2
● Thoughtful consideration of current participation behavior and
reflection on why student is at current participation level.
● Self-reflection on future participation behavior
● Clear and concise writing throughout, in active voice.
● Fluidity (it shouldn’t read like a series of disconnected bulletpoints).
● Accurate use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
25 Total Comments