Must have read “In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote.
This is a literary analysis
This essay will be graded very strictly regarding it’s structure.
The intro must consist of:
1. Plot summary: Genre, title, authors name and short summary of plot.
2. Thesis statement: main argument of essay. Must be an ARGUMENTATIVE (OPINIONATED) statement regarding the theme of NATURE VS. NURTURE (comparing the 2 murderers). (What is the author saying about this).
3.ORGANIZING statement: 3 points that support thesis. These will the preview of each topic sentence for the 3 body paragraphs.
Must have 3 body paragraphs
components of one body paragraph:
1. Topic sentence (argumentative, diagnose a character, make a bold statement, use verb in simple present tense.
2.development: main idea discussed in greater detail, leads to quote/literaray device
3. quote: evidence toward claim being made
4. Analysis: what is quote suggesting
another development, quote #2, analysis #2 – CONCLUDING SENTENCE
This is the structure for one body paragraph. It is important to note that each body paragraph has 2 developments)
ONLY NEED 1 OR 2 LITERARY DEVICES.
QUOTES ARE A MUST (2 PER BODY PARAGRAPH)
The idea to base thesis off of is:
Dick represents: Nature – its in him to kill (genes)
Perry represents : Nurture – external experiences, childhood upbringing (neglect, being misunderstood, being an orphan, abused, exposed to multiple suicides, not given the life he deserves)
the theme is nature vs. nurture
thesis: what is author saying (generalizing) about nature vs nurture in the story