COMMUNITY OUTBREAK ASSESSMENT
A. “Crab Apple Valley Communicable Outbreak ” (referred to as the outbreak scenario for this task)
Will be uploaded
In your presentation, describe the background of the outbreak scenario from part A by doing each of the following:
1. Describe the key components of the case definition for the outbreak scenario.
2. Explain the 10 steps used in the outbreak investigation and include an example for each step.
F. In your presentation, discuss methods used to determine the existence and scope of the outbreak scenario.
1. Discuss the active and passive surveillance methods used to identify cases in the outbreak scenario.
2. Provide the number of suspect cases in the entire outbreak scenario.
3. Provide the number of probable cases in the entire outbreak scenario.
4. Discuss the mode of transmission for the outbreak scenario for both locations, including specific examples from the scenario.
5. Discuss how the cumulative incidence can be utilized with the outbreak scenario.
6. Calculate the cumulative incidence for the entire outbreak scenario.
G. In your presentation, justify your study design choice to guide your analysis of the outbreak scenario by doing the following:
1. Construct a purpose statement for your outbreak scenario research project.
2. Describe the data collected for the outbreak scenario research project from parts F1 and F2.
3. Present a screen capture of the outbreak plot that is clear and provides correct information.
a. Analyze the significance of the epi curve.
4. Analyze the significance of the incubation period of the outbreak scenario.
THE OUTBREAK WAS A PLAGUE
5. Describe the differences between an endemic, an epidemic, and a pandemic.
a. Discuss whether this scenario outbreak is experiencing an endemic, epidemic, or pandemic.
6. Calculate the case fatality rate.
a. Describe the significance of the case fatality rate.
7. Calculate the primary and secondary attack rates.
a. Describe how the primary and secondary attacks occurred.
H. In your presentation, discuss the three measures of outbreak management for the outbreak scenario.
1. Provide a rationale for the control measures that should be implemented in the outbreak scenario.
2. Formulate a plan to disseminate information on the outbreak to other agencies and the public.
I. In your presentation, reflect on your learning experience by responding to each of the following questions:
• What do you know now about investigating an outbreak that you did not know before?
• Based on what you have learned, what might you do differently if given the opportunity to investigate an outbreak?
• In what ways can you apply the concepts you have learned to your current clinical practice?